There is no magic pill or quick fix to gaining the perfect mid section. Hard work through diet and exercise are what will yield the best results. If your goal is to lose fat around your midsection then there are a few things you need to consider.
Lets start with the simple facts:
1) “Spot Reduction” non-surgically this is just NOT POSSIBLE! In order to lose fat off any part of your body, you need to include a combination of cardiovascular exercise and full body strength training. If your main concern is to drop fat around your centre, consider including more full body combination exercises with lots of different planes of movement. For example, Dumbbell Wood Chops –not only are you getting your legs by squatting, you get shoulders as well as abdominals.
2) Clean eating is priority! Ensure you are getting 8-10 glasses of water per day. Water is a detoxifier and will help rid your body of toxins which in turn will help reduce bloat around your belly. No more processed foods, stick to the outside aisles; The “U” of the grocery store.
3) Cardio is king! Try to get in 3-4 cardio sessions a week where you are getting your heart rate up to the point where you are breathing heavy, but can still maintain a conversation.
4) HIIT it! High Intensity Interval Training has been proven to be the most effective way to drop fat while maintaining muscle. Bonus – it only takes a maximum of 20 minutes to do!! The key to success with HIIT training is working hard. At the end of your 20 minutes you should feel like you can not do anymore. Give this HIIT circuit a try to help reduce belly fat and increase energy and performance!
The following program is to be performed 2-3 times per week. Complete 2 rounds of the circuit with 1 minute of rest between rounds. Remember to include a 5-8minute warm up and some light stretching after.
Belly Fat HIIT Circuit
Each exercises is performed for 45 seconds. Take a 15 second rest between exercises.
1) Shuffle to plank - start in an athletic stance and shuffle to the right, drop down into a plank and quickly return.
2) Dumbbell Wood Chops Right/Left - Squat down and turn to the right lowering the dumbbell towards your right foot, keeping your arms straight move the dumbbell across the midline of your body while you stand up and pivot to the left bringing the dumbbell above your left shoulder.
4) TRX Plank to Pike or Plank to Pike on floor - Place your feet into the foot cradles and bring yourself to a high plank position on your hands. Hold for a count of 4 and then bring your straight legs towards your chest and slowly return to your start position.
5) Burpee with pushup-jack-knee tuck combination - Drop down to a plank position and perform one pushup, then maintain plank and perform one jack and one knee tuck right then left, jump up to standing.
6) Side elbow or hand plank with bottom knee drive Right/Left - Start on your right elbow in a side plank position, maintaining plank drive your bottom knee towards your chest without flexion at the spine. Repeat on Left side
7) TRX Overhead Squat - Place the back of your hands into the foot cradles and drive your arms overhead. Keeping your arms completely straight and maintaining pressure on the foot cradles, perform a squat. During the squat try to not allow your body to bend forwards. Return to start position.